The Ho-Am Prize was established in 1990 by Kun-Hee Lee, the Chairman of Samsung, with a vision to create a new corporate culture that continues the noble spirit of public service espoused by the late Chairman Byung-chull Lee, founder of Samsung.
The Prize, named after the late Chairman's pen name, is presented each year to individuals who have contributed to academics, the arts, and social development, or who have furthered the welfare of humanity through distinguished accomplishments in their respective professional fields.
- Physics and Mathematics: The Prize for Physics and Mathematics includes such fields as astrophysics, theoretical physics, solid state physics, optics, mathematics and integrated sciences. The prize is presented to people of Korean heritage whose original research efforts contribute to these basic fields.
- Chemistry and Life Sciences: The Prize for Chemistry and Life Sciences includes such fields as organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry, biochemistry, life sciences and integrated sciences. The prize is presented to people of Korean heritage who made significant progress in these basic fields.
- Engineering: The Prize for Engineering covers the entire field of basic engineering and applied technology, and is presented to people of Korean heritage whose accomplishments have contributed to the development of industry for greater prosperity for humanity.
- Medicine: The Prize for Medicine includes the clinical and research areas of medicine, physiology, and pharmacology. The Prize is awarded to people of Korean heritage who have made distinctive contributions to the efforts of humankind to conquer diseases.
- Korean citizens or people of Korean heritage (except in the Special Field category, in which foreigners who make contributions to Koreans at home and abroad may be nominated).
- Candidates must be alive at the deadline date of nominations.
- Candidates with accomplishments and accumulated expertise who have contributed to society in their respective fields, and whose accumulated expertise that has been highly evaluated socially.
- Candidates with distinguished contributions to the nation and humanity through clearly creative mentality and spirit of service.
Recipients of the Ho-Am Prize are each presented with diploma, a pure gold medal (187.5 g) and a cash prize of 300 million KRW (approx. 275,000 USD).
Ho-Am Prize candidate nominations may be made online or offline. A nominator can recommend only one candidate in each field. List of nominators includes experts or individuals holding established positions in academia.
- Online: Please submit candidate nominations using the online system by the deadline below.
- Offline: Please prepare the following materials for nomination and return to the Ho-Am Foundation by the deadline below.
- Official Nomination Form (for all Science, Engineering, Medicine nominations)
- E-mail: email@example.com.
- Mailing Address: 6th Fl., Seocho Tower, 4, Seocho-daero 74-gil Seocho-gu, Seoul 06620, Korea.
Documentation of Evidence:
In Physics and Mathematics, Chemistry and Life Sciences, Engineering and Medicine: One representative paper and up to five related papers.
The Corporate Engagement and Foundations Relations team is available to assist faculty with proposal development and submission. We welcome the opportunity to work with you. Please call or email Benjamin Kim at 8-5965 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to discuss this funding opportunity further.
Nomination deadline is October 31, 2020.